Monday, August 31, 2009

Sneaky Problem

After Tom and Ariel finished getting me back on the road, a new problem arose that was tricky to diagnose. The symptoms were: started up just fine, idled and ran for a few minutes fine, engine died when stopped at a light, started up again until next stop and then died, started up and would run fine on the highway and afterwards. Tom thought it was a choke issue since the engine only died soon after it was started. He checked me when I was cold, and both chokes were closed. He started me up and I ran just fine, but Tom increased the fast idle speed somewhat by opening the gap circled below. After idling for about 2 minutes, my engine died again. Tom tried to re-start it, but I just cranked and cranked. He inspected my carbs only to find there was no gas. To make a long story short, he looked around and discovered that my inlet fuel line had a hole rubbed through on its underside where it was contacting the sheetmetal shroud. See area circled in red. Since this is on the vacuum side of the fuel system, it didn't spew gas as an indicator of failure - just left a small clean spot on the shrouding. Tom scoured his collection of pulled parts and found a replacement line - one that didn't rub on the shrouding - and installed it. All's fixed after re-adjusted the fast idle speed back down again.