Monday, January 07, 2008

Stopping That &*^%$* Leak

Last weekend, Ariel and her dad went leak hunting at my rear window. They found that the water is coming at the top-middle somewhere. Ariel ended up removing the trim sticks that hold the headliner in place around the window. With everything dried out, Tom applied more butyl rubber and they crossed their fingers.

A couple of evenings ago, Tom went to move me out of the driveway, and my starter would not respond when he turned the key. Nothing, not even a click. He tried the hotwire in the engine compartment and only got spark at the battery terminal. The next morning, after a few more hotwire attempts the starter finally responded and I fired right up. Dirty battery terminal perhaps. They’ll get cleaned, I’m sure.

Yesterday, Tom reinstalled the trim sticks and also cleaned the battery terminals to, hopefully, prevent any more starting issues. He also removed my driver’s door panel. His plan was to add a speed-nut so he could install the second screw that holds my armrest in place. With the panel off, he discovered that the waterproof paper that protects the panel from rainwater is missing. Put that on the Clark’s Corvair Parts list. He put the door parts back on without the panel so I’m functional. He also adjusted the latch-plate (AGAIN) to help with my latching problem.