Friday, April 21, 2006

Roadification Begins

It's been a couple of weeks, but Ariel's dad finally came out and worked on me. He checked out the condition of my rear brakes; the shoes could use replacing, but the rest of the system back there is fine. He then disassembled my rear wheel bearing assemblies and thoroughly cleaned and repacked the bearings with synthetic grease.

According to Ariel's dad, roadification is the process of replacing and repairing just enough parts to get an old car safe and reliable. That's what they'll be doing to me. That's fine because that means I'll be back on the road sooner, rather than later.

They're discovering some of my history. For instance, a lot of my trim is from a 1964 model. I wasn't built with wheel-well trim, and 1964 was the only year of early model Corvairs that had that chrome. My differential is from 1964. He can tell that because my differential's got the '64-only accommodation for a transverse leaf spring. I've got two different axles. I don't remember why, but at some point one was replaced.