Monday, May 21, 2007

Joint Replacement

Saturday, Tom and Ariel took me to the Tech Session of the local Corvair club. With help, they replaced both of my upper balljoints. Each joint is held on with four rivets that they had to shear off and then drill out before installing the new ones. Tom discovered that the lower joint that was loose was actually a loose nut, not a bad joint. They also installed new front gas shock absorbers. Ariel says I handle and ride better.

Even though they were able to cross one thing off of my To Do list, one thing had to be added. The screw that retains my blinker assembly keeps coming loose. Tom has had to pull the steering wheel off twice to tighten the bolt - each time trying something different that doesn't permanently fix the problem. He's e-mailed the guy at the Corvair Ranch for help.