Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Off the Road Again


Last Thursday I started running rough again. Ariel figured it was a fouled spark plug thing again, so last night her dad, Tom, pulled all the plugs and cleaned them. They actually didn’t look too bad. Sure enough, cleaning them didn’t fix the problem. By then it was nearly 10 PM, so he left me in the garage and called it a night.

Saturday morning, Tom did a compression check on my engine, and it showed zero psi in cylinder #5, so up on jackstands I go. After pulling off my right cylinder head, this is what he found. Not pretty.
The valve is basically in the right place, but the steel seat has come out of the aluminum head. Fortunately, they’ve got spare parts on the shelf including a head.

Monday Tom ordered new gaskets for my engine reassembly. I’m off the road until Wednesday at least. In the meantime Ariel is driving her big sister’s Corvair, Heidi.