Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Dash is Dead

First of all, I’m now on a first-name basis with Ariel’s dad, Tom.

Second of all, my idiot lights still work. Even though my odometer won’t move, the speedometer jumps around by plus or minus 20 MPH once I’m going faster than 40 MPH, and now the gas gauge died on the way to Tom’s work this morning. It was working off and on before, but jiggling the connection at the back of the gauge usually got it working again. Not this time. So now anyone driving me won’t know how fast they’re going, how far they’ve gone, or how much gas they’ve got left in my tank. Looks like more work for Ariel and Tom.

Last evening, I decided to not start when Tom was leaving work. He had to jack up the right rear, attach some speaker wire to my solenoid, and hotwire me. All it took was moving the starter, and then I would turn over with the key. Last night they permanently installed a wire that would be used for starting if my ignition switch or neutral switch misbehaves again.

Here are some pictures of my newly painted and partially patched floor and the rear part that's yet to be done.