Thursday, May 11, 2006

Ridding Me Of Gremlins

Gremlin n. An imaginary gnomelike creature to whom mechanical problems are attributed. (dictionary.com)

I'd always felt that gremlins should be blamed more for electrical, rather than mechanical, problems. Mechanical problems can normally be seen, and therefore explained, while electrical problems are hidden, and therefore a pain in the rear bumper.

When Ariel was giving me the electrical once over, she tried my horn - it works, my radio - it doesn't, my turn signals - they don't, my headlights - they don't, my taillights - they don't (but my license plate light does), my heater fan - it does, and my backup lights - they do. Looks like I have a few gremlins that need evicting.

Last night, her dad started on that project. He found that both taillight bulbs were completely bad, but there is 12V to both sockets when the headlight switch is on. That's an easy one to take care of. He also determined that my right front headlight bulb is fine, but there's no electricity at the socket. Oh-oh; not so easy. I hope that didn't scare him away permanently because he got called away right after that discovery and didn't come back.