Monday, June 19, 2006

A Recipe for Floor Repair

1 qt. POR-15
Sheetmetal
Stainless Steel Rivets
Rustoleum Primer
Rustoleum Black Paint
Silicone Caulk

After thoroughly removing any loose rust using a wire wheel mounted on your drill, liberally coat all surfaces with POR-15. Let dry. Cut and bend sheetmetal patches to fit over holes extending into solid metal. Set in place and determine drill pilot holes for rivets. Coat all patches and holes in body with primer. Let dry. Coat with paint. Let dry. Apply a generous bead of caulk to the perimeter of each patch. Place and secure with rivets.

This may not be the professional's method of repairing rust issues in the floor of a car, but it's the method Ariel and her dad will be using to fix me. I'd prefer nice, new panels welded in, but I understand their desire to keep my "roadification" cost-effective. Here's what parts of my floor look like without my carpet in place to hide the nastiness.


Yesterday, Ariel's dad (Ariel's still in Europe) finished removing my seats. It looks like he'll have to replace the bottom rear seat; only about half of the springs are unbroken. He then pulled out my carpet to reveal the aformentioned nastiness. After about an hour of wire bruishing and pulling away old pieces of caulk, he pushed me back into the garage. I guess he'd had enough of me for the day.